Behavior Management Wow Board



Positive Reward System using a Wow! Board

How to play:
Once a student earns a spot on the board… they write their name. At the end of class I randomly pull a number and letter to pick a winner!

Make sure you and your students understand the difference in rules and procedures. Procedure are practice until they are done correctly (lining up, walking hallway, names in paper) rules have consequences (keeping hands to self). For rules and consequences 
1. Warning 
2. Loss of privilege 
3. Talk with parent 
4. Office referral 

Every day is a new day!

Verbal warnings, private conversation, reminders and reflection/think sheet, natural consequences.

Clip charts demean a child, so I use positive reinforcers such as a money system. I only give money and never take any back. They can spend their money on a class store that I have once a month.

Of course, there should be consequences for bad behavior and I’m a fan of logical ones.  You were chatting during work time? You need to move away from others so they can work.  You hurt someone?  I need you to be near me until I’m sure your safe.  But first and foremost, I truly believe there is a reason for so many of the problem behaviors and I focus first and foremost on building a strong community and discovering for each child how to help them be their best.  Why did the behavior happen and what can you and the child do together to restore who was harmed and assure the problem stops? 

Like a lot of others, I use logical consequences after two reminders (unless they are hurting themselves or others, in which case the consequence is immediate). If they don’t do their work, they finish it during something fun. If they’re blurting out at the carpet, they’re sent to their seat spot. If they’re using classroom materials inappropriately, they lose that privilege for the day.  Always have a conversation with them about why they received the consequence and talk about what they should have done instead. 

For preventative things, I have a “calm down spot” for if kiddos just need a couple minutes to regulate. I also have “carpet tools” (aka small fidgets) for kiddos that need them to use during whole group instruction time to help them focus. That has helped a lot with behaviors at the carpet!

I had a blurting problem. So, I put a sticky note on each desk. When someone blurted, I very calmly say please put a tally mark on your sticky. At the end of the day, I collected them and graphed the data. They were shocked at how many times they blurted or interrupted me. So, we set a goal to lower the number. It was so awesome to see them take responsibility for it and learn to manage themselves. I rewarded them when they got to under 5 a day. The last few months of school was basically blurt less. đŸ˜‚

For some students If / Then Charts can also be a helpful tool. 



Links:

Comments

Popular Posts