Classroom Environment

 




Starting with a blank canvas…

Some ways to I create a safe and appropriate learning environment for all students.

Setting up the environment: I like to have a welcoming classroom with calm natural colors – not too many overstimulating colors – mostly for myself too. In the mornings I have soft music playing in the background before the morning announcements start.

 

Setting Expectations & being consistent: The first week of school is an important time to get to know each other, set expectations and go over rules. I have a visual schedule on the wall and usually a helper to move the clip as we proceed through the day. I delegate classroom jobs to my students monthly. It helps me and helps establish a classroom community. Everyone knows they belong and that we are a classroom family.

 

Enrichment: Students who are fast learners or already know the material with evidence such as a pre-activity assessment can be assigned to a group based on skills / interests after completion of an interest survey or through observation. Tiered assignments with independent projects will also be assigned to students who can benefit from it.  I find myself to generally be a flexible teacher and adjust as needed based of student’s individual needs. Example: If they want to sit in the corner of the room and work independently and show that they can get their work done – I will allow it.

 

Feedback/ Mini Meetings: All students need to know when they are doing a good job! They want to get called on to answer questions – but if you find yourself calling on them too much have a private conversation about needing to hear from others too. Have them write answers or give a signal that you know they got it. 


Monitor & Adjust: Adjustments may need to be made along the way – for example if others become jealous. Sometimes a student may want to help their friends in class too much. There are times that small meetings might need to be held and correct small issues due to having a wide array of abilities within the classroom. I do not force my students to help other students – if that is something they want to do, that is something they initiate. If we have a big problem, then we call a carpet meeting and discuss scenarios on how to fix a problem. Students learn not to point out or mention names during these meetings – but to give examples. Students can also write me a note during class and leave it on my desk.

  









Giving students responsibilities 





 


Comments

Popular Posts